Exemptions – Keeping Property

Some Kansas exemptions.  See your attorney to determine what exemption laws apply to your bankruptcy case and what property is exempt from your creditors.

K.S.A. § 60-2301

160 acres of farming land, or 1 acre in an incorporated town or city, or a manufactured or mobile home, if occupied as a residence by the owner or the owner’s family

K.S.A. § 60-2304(a)

Furnishings, equipment and supplies, including food, fuel and clothing, at principal residence necessary for 1 year

K.S.A. § 60-2304(b)

Jewelry and personal ornaments, $1000 limit

K.S.A. § 60-2304(c)

One means of conveyance to and from work, $20,000 limit (no limit for the handicapped)

K.S.A. § 60-2304(d)

Burial plot or crypt or cemetery lot exempt under KSA § 17-1302

K.S.A.. § 60-2304(e)

Books, documents, furniture, tools, instruments, implements, equipment, breeding stock, seed grain, growing plant stock, or other tangible means of production necessary to carry on trade, profession, business or occupation.

K.S.A. § 60-2308(b), (c)

Funds and benefits of retirement plan or IRA qualified under §§ 401(a), 403(a), 403(b), 408, 408A or 409 of Internal Revenue Code (100% (support claims excepted))

Typical examples of property NOT exempt under Kansas exemptions laws:

tax refunds

cash and funds in bank accounts

stocks and bonds

boats, motorcycles, campers

business inventory

money owed to you, business accounts receivable

personal injury claims (except workers compensation claims)

If you moved to Kansas less than two years ago, you might not be allowed to claim Kansas exemptions in your bankruptcy case.  It gets complicated to figure out whether you claim exemption for the state you formerly lived in or the federal exemptions.

Exemption Express

Verified by MonsterInsights